Two French journalists abducted, killed in Mali
Bamako: Two French journalists snatched by gunmen in the northern Malian town of Kidal on Saturday have been killed, the French foreign ministry said in a statement.
"Claude Verlon and Ghislaine Dupont, journalists at RFI, were found dead in Mali," the ministry said. "They had been kidnapped by armed gunmen in Kidal."
A local prefect, sources from the Tuareg separatist group MNLA and Malian security services had said earlier in the day two reporters had been kidnapped and then killed on the outskirts of the town.
"A few minutes after a pursuit began for the abductors of the two French, we were informed that their bodies were found riddled with bullets outside the town," said Paul-Marie Sidibe, prefect of the town of Tinzawaten, who is based in Kidal.
A senior MNLA military official also said the bodies had been recovered outside Kidal. A Mali security source said the journalists were killed about 12 km (8 miles) outside the town.
Both journalists, from French radio station RFI, were seized after they interviewed Kidal resident Ambeiry Ag Rhissa, a local official with the MNLA Tuareg separatist group.
"When they left, I heard a strange noise outside. I immediately went out to see and when I opened my door, a turbaned man pointed a gun at me and told me go back inside," Rhissa told by telephone.
"I could not see how many men were there," he said.
RFI confirmed in a news bulletin that Dupont and Verlon were kidnapped in front of Rhissa`s house after the interview.
"They were put into a beige four-wheel drive vehicle and the kidnappers fired shots in the air and told Rhissa to go home," RFI said in the report.
"The driver heard the two reporters protest and resist. It was the last time they were seen," RFI said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video