Two French journalists abducted, killed in Mali
Bamako: Two French journalists snatched by gunmen in the northern Malian town of Kidal on Saturday have been killed, the French foreign ministry said in a statement.
"Claude Verlon and Ghislaine Dupont, journalists at RFI, were found dead in Mali," the ministry said. "They had been kidnapped by armed gunmen in Kidal."
A local prefect, sources from the Tuareg separatist group MNLA and Malian security services had said earlier in the day two reporters had been kidnapped and then killed on the outskirts of the town.
"A few minutes after a pursuit began for the abductors of the two French, we were informed that their bodies were found riddled with bullets outside the town," said Paul-Marie Sidibe, prefect of the town of Tinzawaten, who is based in Kidal.
A senior MNLA military official also said the bodies had been recovered outside Kidal. A Mali security source said the journalists were killed about 12 km (8 miles) outside the town.
Both journalists, from French radio station RFI, were seized after they interviewed Kidal resident Ambeiry Ag Rhissa, a local official with the MNLA Tuareg separatist group.
"When they left, I heard a strange noise outside. I immediately went out to see and when I opened my door, a turbaned man pointed a gun at me and told me go back inside," Rhissa told by telephone.
"I could not see how many men were there," he said.
RFI confirmed in a news bulletin that Dupont and Verlon were kidnapped in front of Rhissa`s house after the interview.
"They were put into a beige four-wheel drive vehicle and the kidnappers fired shots in the air and told Rhissa to go home," RFI said in the report.
"The driver heard the two reporters protest and resist. It was the last time they were seen," RFI said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks