Two Germans killed in Vietnam fireworks blast
Hanoi: Two Germans were among four people
killed when fireworks being prepared for Hanoi`s millennium
celebrations exploded, the foreign ministry in Berlin said
The two men, who were not named, were in their 50s and
belonged to a group of 15 Germans working for a Singaporean
company, a spokesman for the ministry in Berlin said. A third
German was injured.
Singapore`s foreign ministry said one of the dead may
have come from the city-state, while official Vietnamese
sources identified the other fatality as a native of Vietnam.
The yesterday`s blast in two containers of
fireworks occurred outside Hanoi`s My Dinh Stadium where
Hanoi`s anniversary celebrations are set to take place.
The government said a Hanoi company, the International
Commercial Investment and Services Company (Interserco) had
imported the fireworks for the celebration.
Local media showed pictures of a thick cloud of smoke
after the blast, which sent large chunks of metal flying and
shattered windows at least 200 metres away.
Reasons for the blast "remain unknown," said an
Interserco employee, asking to remain unidentified.
"We are waiting for a final conclusion by the
The government has blamed the blast and fire on
"carelessness during the process of transport".
Despite yesterday`s tragedy, local media reported that
a rehearsal took place that night at the stadium ahead of
Sunday`s grand finale.
The show, featuring lasers and thousands of
performers, depicts Vietnamese history and will cap 10 days of
exhibitions, cultural performances and other events for
Hanoi`s 1,000th birthday.
"The event will finish with a magnificent display of
fireworks in several places around Hanoi," the website of
Voice of Vietnam radio reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi