Two get bail in British soldier murder case
London: Two men arrested on suspicion of being involved in supplying illegal firearms in connection with the Islamist murder of a British soldier in London last week were released on bail on Saturday.
The two unnamed men, aged 46 and 42, were arrested yesterday and have been bailed to return to a south London police station in late June, pending further enquiries.
Scotland Yard is questioning Michael Adebowale, 22, who was shot at the scene on London terror attack, which resulted in the murder of soldier Drummer Lee Rigby in Woolwich, south-east London.
Michael Adebolajo, 28, who was also shot and injured by police in the incident on May 22, spent a second day in custody at a London police station on Saturday after being discharged from hospital yesterday. He is also being held on suspicion of attempting to murder a police officer in relation to the attack on May 22.
Adebowale, has been charged with the soldier`s murder and appeared before Westminster magistrates on Thursday.
Both Londoners of Nigerian descent, believed to be Islamist extremists, were shot and arrested at the scene of the killing and were being held under police guard at different London hospitals.
Adebowale had been discharged earlier this week and is due to appear in court again on Monday.
Police investigating the Woolwich attack have also arrested a 42-year-old man in north London and a 46-year-old man in east London on suspicion of involvement in the supply of illegal firearms.
The total number of arrests made in connection with the attack stands at 12.
So far, eight of those arrested have been bailed and two released without charge.
A far-right British National Party (BNP) march is planned in Westminster later after police asked that it be moved from Woolwich.
Events have also been planned in various towns by the anti-Islam English Defence League, while protest group Unite Against Fascism was due to hold a demonstration in Woolwich.
Faith Matters, an inter-faith organisation aimed at tackling extremism, said it had recorded 212 Islamophobic incidents since last Wednesday, up from between four and six per day.
In a statement, Lee Rigby`s family stressed that "Lee would not want people to use his name as an excuse to carry out attacks against others."
Queen Elizabeth II also paid her respects to the fallen soldier during a royal visit to the barracks yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends