Two injured in fan clashes at Rio de Janeiro`s Maracana Stadium
Rio de Janeiro: World Cup organizers say two people were treated for injuries after fights involving fans from Brazil, Colombia and Uruguay at Maracana Stadium.
Brazilian broadcaster Globo showed footage of fans clashing in a stadium concourse after Colombia beat Uruguay 2-0 in the Round of 16 yesterday.
Organizing committee spokesman Saint-Clair Milesi today said that "people can get overexcited and problems can happen."
Milesi says "our security will be looking at those images to see if there was operational failure," and take the incidents into account for the next game at the Maracana, a quarterfinal on Saturday.
He adds that two reported injuries is about the average for matches at this World Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video