Two Japanese former PMs visit Yasukuni Shrine
Tokyo: To mark the 64th anniversary of the end of World War II, Japan`s former prime ministers Junichiro Koizumi and Shinzo Abe on Saturday paid a visit to the war-related
Prime Minister Taro Aso has indicated he will not pay tribute at the shrine on the day and only one of his Cabinet ministers -- consumer affairs minister Seiko Noda – visited in the afternoon.
In remarks to reporters on Monday, Aso hinted that he would avoid a visit. "I think it is wrong to make people who sacrificed their precious lives for the state a political or election issue or fodder for newspapers. They should be far away from the (media) frenzy and kept in a place for more quiet prayer," he said.
Instead of visiting the Shinto shrine, Aso visited Chidorigafuchi National Cemetery to lay flowers.
Main opposition Democratic Party of Japan leader Yukio Hatoyama said he would not visit Yasukuni if he becomes prime minister as a result of the August 30 House of Representatives election.
A group of 41 non-partisan lawmakers who advocate visits to Yasukuni also came to the shrine.
Koizumi did not respond to reporters` questions during his visit, while Abe said he visited the shrine to pay his respects to Japan`s war dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video