Two Japanese tourists die in China blizzard
Beijing: Two Japanese tourists were killed and one went missing after getting trapped in a snow-covered mountain in north China`s Hebei Province, state media reported on Sunday.
Two Japanese women, aged 62 and 68, were confirmed dead while a 76-year-old Japanese man has been missing, according to state-run Xinhua news agency.
Another Japanese tourist, 59, and a Chinese man who works for a Japanese tourist agency were under treatment at a village clinic as all roads out of the mountain remained closed.
The four Japanese and two Chinese tourists had climbed a mountain from the Beijing side to tour a section of the Great Wall last morning.
The six were trapped in snowstorms after reaching a mountainous region in Huailai county in the neighbouring province of Hebei, according to the statement.
More than 150 people battled waist-deep snow to search for the victims after learning from a Chinese tourist who came down the mountain to seek police help.
Heavy snows hit many places in north China, including Beijing and Hebei, over the weekends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog