Two Japanese tourists die in China blizzard
Beijing: Two Japanese tourists were killed and one went missing after getting trapped in a snow-covered mountain in north China`s Hebei Province, state media reported on Sunday.
Two Japanese women, aged 62 and 68, were confirmed dead while a 76-year-old Japanese man has been missing, according to state-run Xinhua news agency.
Another Japanese tourist, 59, and a Chinese man who works for a Japanese tourist agency were under treatment at a village clinic as all roads out of the mountain remained closed.
The four Japanese and two Chinese tourists had climbed a mountain from the Beijing side to tour a section of the Great Wall last morning.
The six were trapped in snowstorms after reaching a mountainous region in Huailai county in the neighbouring province of Hebei, according to the statement.
More than 150 people battled waist-deep snow to search for the victims after learning from a Chinese tourist who came down the mountain to seek police help.
Heavy snows hit many places in north China, including Beijing and Hebei, over the weekends.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Chopper scam: Willing to come to India and face probe, says AgustaWestland middleman Christian James Michel
- Pro-Afzal event at JNU: Kanhaiya Kumar, others begin indefinite strike against punishment
- Meghalaya CM's wife, Sangma's son file nomination papers for Tura Lok Sabha bypoll
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks