Two Japanese tourists die in China blizzard
Beijing: Two Japanese tourists were killed and one went missing after getting trapped in a snow-covered mountain in north China`s Hebei Province, state media reported on Sunday.
Two Japanese women, aged 62 and 68, were confirmed dead while a 76-year-old Japanese man has been missing, according to state-run Xinhua news agency.
Another Japanese tourist, 59, and a Chinese man who works for a Japanese tourist agency were under treatment at a village clinic as all roads out of the mountain remained closed.
The four Japanese and two Chinese tourists had climbed a mountain from the Beijing side to tour a section of the Great Wall last morning.
The six were trapped in snowstorms after reaching a mountainous region in Huailai county in the neighbouring province of Hebei, according to the statement.
More than 150 people battled waist-deep snow to search for the victims after learning from a Chinese tourist who came down the mountain to seek police help.
Heavy snows hit many places in north China, including Beijing and Hebei, over the weekends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery