Two killed, 34 injured in blast near school in China
Beijing: A huge explosion in front of a primary school in southern China on Monday killed at least 2 persons and injured 34 others, including 26 students.
The incident occurred as the students were arriving at the Balijie Primary School in Lingwu county of Guilin, a resort city in Guangxi.
A man and a woman were killed on the spot and the injured persons, including 26 students, were taken to a nearby hospital, official media reported.
Seven other injured were adults who were accompanying students to school or passersby, according to the information department of Guilin City.
Footage on the state television CCTV showed many damaged vehicles lying in front of the school.
Witnesses told Xinhua news agency that a man riding a three-wheeled motorcycle passed the entrance to the school when the blast took place.
An eyewitness saw a body lying at the site, which was cordoned off by local police.
"First, the motorcycle caught fire and then exploded with a tremendous noise that could be heard from far, far away," a witness told Xinhua.
A dozen motorcycles were scattered around the blast site and the window panes of cars and stores by the school were damaged.
Police are investigating the cause of blast.
Safety inspections will be conducted across the city of Guilin for illegal explosives, said a city government statement.
Guilin, a popular tourist city in Guangxi, is famous for its karst scenery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'