Two killed, 34 injured in blast near school in China
Beijing: A huge explosion in front of a primary school in southern China on Monday killed at least 2 persons and injured 34 others, including 26 students.
The incident occurred as the students were arriving at the Balijie Primary School in Lingwu county of Guilin, a resort city in Guangxi.
A man and a woman were killed on the spot and the injured persons, including 26 students, were taken to a nearby hospital, official media reported.
Seven other injured were adults who were accompanying students to school or passersby, according to the information department of Guilin City.
Footage on the state television CCTV showed many damaged vehicles lying in front of the school.
Witnesses told Xinhua news agency that a man riding a three-wheeled motorcycle passed the entrance to the school when the blast took place.
An eyewitness saw a body lying at the site, which was cordoned off by local police.
"First, the motorcycle caught fire and then exploded with a tremendous noise that could be heard from far, far away," a witness told Xinhua.
A dozen motorcycles were scattered around the blast site and the window panes of cars and stores by the school were damaged.
Police are investigating the cause of blast.
Safety inspections will be conducted across the city of Guilin for illegal explosives, said a city government statement.
Guilin, a popular tourist city in Guangxi, is famous for its karst scenery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Uganda switches sides, dumping North Korea for South
- Indian Premier League 2016: Did David Warner deserve Most Valuable Player award more than Virat Kohli?
- Suicide bombings in Baghdad: Over 20 killed, 50 injured in series of attacks
- Know why PM Narendra Modi is asking for your support for particular task - WATCH
- Nepali Congress halts House over ''budget leak''