Two killed, 34 injured in blast near school in China
Beijing: A huge explosion in front of a primary school in southern China on Monday killed at least 2 persons and injured 34 others, including 26 students.
The incident occurred as the students were arriving at the Balijie Primary School in Lingwu county of Guilin, a resort city in Guangxi.
A man and a woman were killed on the spot and the injured persons, including 26 students, were taken to a nearby hospital, official media reported.
Seven other injured were adults who were accompanying students to school or passersby, according to the information department of Guilin City.
Footage on the state television CCTV showed many damaged vehicles lying in front of the school.
Witnesses told Xinhua news agency that a man riding a three-wheeled motorcycle passed the entrance to the school when the blast took place.
An eyewitness saw a body lying at the site, which was cordoned off by local police.
"First, the motorcycle caught fire and then exploded with a tremendous noise that could be heard from far, far away," a witness told Xinhua.
A dozen motorcycles were scattered around the blast site and the window panes of cars and stores by the school were damaged.
Police are investigating the cause of blast.
Safety inspections will be conducted across the city of Guilin for illegal explosives, said a city government statement.
Guilin, a popular tourist city in Guangxi, is famous for its karst scenery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list