Two Malaysian girls held for kissing!
Kuala Lumpur: Two teenage Muslim girls have been arrested by Malaysian Islamic officials for hugging and kissing each other publicly in Tawau town in the state of Sabah.
The girls aged 16 and 17 were detained during an integrated operation by the Sabah Islamic Religious Affairs Department together with the Tawau Municipal Council on Tuesday, news reports said on Thursday.
The department`s officer Abdul Imam Basiron said the two girls faced charges under the Islamic Shariah Criminal Offences Enactment that carries a maximum fine of RM 1,000 (15,000 rupees) or jail of up to six months or both upon conviction.
Abdul Imam said during the operation they also detained three Muslim men aged between 20 and 60 for gambling. They were caught buying 4D lottery tickets. Malays Muslims are not allowed to drink liquor and gamble.
However, ethnic Chinese and ethnic Indians who are the other components of the 27 million population can buy lottery tickets and liquor.
During the operation, they also acted against two restaurants for displaying copies of the halal logo from other establishments.
He said restaurants were allowed to sell food to Muslims but they could not consume it within the premises during fasting hours.
He said the department would be conducting checks on Muslims who were not fasting during Ramadan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days