Two Malaysian girls held for kissing!
Kuala Lumpur: Two teenage Muslim girls have been arrested by Malaysian Islamic officials for hugging and kissing each other publicly in Tawau town in the state of Sabah.
The girls aged 16 and 17 were detained during an integrated operation by the Sabah Islamic Religious Affairs Department together with the Tawau Municipal Council on Tuesday, news reports said on Thursday.
The department`s officer Abdul Imam Basiron said the two girls faced charges under the Islamic Shariah Criminal Offences Enactment that carries a maximum fine of RM 1,000 (15,000 rupees) or jail of up to six months or both upon conviction.
Abdul Imam said during the operation they also detained three Muslim men aged between 20 and 60 for gambling. They were caught buying 4D lottery tickets. Malays Muslims are not allowed to drink liquor and gamble.
However, ethnic Chinese and ethnic Indians who are the other components of the 27 million population can buy lottery tickets and liquor.
During the operation, they also acted against two restaurants for displaying copies of the halal logo from other establishments.
He said restaurants were allowed to sell food to Muslims but they could not consume it within the premises during fasting hours.
He said the department would be conducting checks on Muslims who were not fasting during Ramadan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video