Two Malian soldiers killed, 40 injured in crash
Bamako: Two Malian soldiers were killed and more than 40 injured on Thursday when their military transporter crashed, the army said.
The accident in the capital Bamako "occurred due to a technical fault in the vehicle", said army spokesman Souleymane Maiga.
The army had originally reported "45 soldiers injured, one of them seriously" before later announcing that two of the casualties had died.
The deaths were confirmed by a medical source at the Gabriel Toure Hospital in Bamako.
The army said the truck was on the road leading from the north of the capital to the presidential palace, but gave no further details.
The under-funded, poorly-trained army is involved in a campaign against the remnants of rebel militias linked to Al-Qaeda who were ousted by a French-led international force after occupying northern Mali for ten months in 2012.
Five Malian soldiers were killed in April last year when their helicopter crashed in the central town of Sevare, with the cause of that accident also given as mechanical failure.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know