Two militants killed in army raid in Egypt
Two militants were killed and 21 others were arrested during an army raid in the restive North Sinai province, a media report said.
Cairo: Two militants were killed and 21 others were arrested during an army raid in the restive North Sinai province, a media report said.
54 shelters and houses and 29 motorcycle used by terrorist in their attacks against army and police personnel were also destroyed, a security source told the state-run MENA news agency.
The militant attacks targeting police and military increased after the ouster of Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi last year. Many policemen and soldiers have been killed in the attacks.
On Tuesday, six policemen were killed and two others were severely injured in an explosion in Rafah, North Sinai, after unknown militants targeted a military vehicle with an explosive device when the vehicle was passing on Rafah-Arish road.
Hours after the attack, the Sinai-based Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis claimed responsibility of the explosion by posting a video of the bombing, although security forces arrested four suspects in the vicinity of the crime scene.
The vehicle was on a mission to detect landmines. The intensity of the anti-tank mine made the vehicle spin three times in the air before it landed, killing the six policemen on board.