Two more Tibetan monks get jail terms in China
Beijing: A Chinese court on Tuesday sentenced two
monks to jail terms in southwest Sichuan province for plotting
and instigating the self immolation of a fellow monk in
protest against curbs on them, taking the number of Tibetan
lamas convicted in the case to three.
Tsering Tenzin and Tenchum of the Kirti Monastery in Aba
Tibetan-Qiang Autonomous Prefecture were sentenced to 13 years
and 10 years in prison respectively by the Maerkang county
People`s Court in Aba.
The two plotted, instigated and assisted in the
self-immolation of 16-year-old Rigzin Phuntsog and caused his
death, the court said.
In a trial yesterday, the court sentenced Drongdru, also
a monk at the Kirti Monastery to 11 years in prison for
intentional homicide in Phuntsog`s death, which drew
46-year-old Drongdru was given the sentence because he
hid the injured monk and prevented emergency treatment,
causing delayed treatment and the subsequent death for his
disciple and nephew, according to the verdict reported by the
state-run Xinhua news agency.
Phuntsog, a disciple and nephew of Drongdru, set himself
on fire on March 16 and was hidden for 11 hours. He died the
next morning after treatments failed at a local hospital.
A large number of monks at the Kirti monastery were
accused of taking part in the 2008 Lhasa riots in which
several people killed, many injured.
China blamed the Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama for
instigating the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past