Two Oz men jailed for race-hate bashing of Asian
Sydney: Two young men in Australia have been jailed for what a judge has described as a ‘deplorable’, ‘brutal’ and ‘unprovoked’ race-hate bashing.
Shannon Hudson was sentenced to 10 years and six months in jail on and his co-accused Wayne O`Brien was jailed for four years and six months.
While sentencing them, the Supreme Court Justice Betty King said more needed to be done to determine why there were so many angry and unhappy young people in society, particularly males.
Both men from Victoria, aged 21, pleaded guilty to intentionally causing serious injury to the 21-year-old Vietnamese international student on the night of June 27 this year, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
The pair and another friend, who cannot be identified because he was only 17, were on their way to Hudson`s Ascot Vale home after a day of drinking in the city, when they noticed the student walking on the opposite side listening to music on his iPhone.
The court heard that one of the three ran across the road and the others followed and began punching and kicking their victim without provocation.
They taunted him and yelled things including “you f...ing Gook” and “lie down you dog, you yellow dog” as the man begged for his life.
The student made several attempts to escape from his attackers as he screamed and begged for mercy, but each time was returned to the ground and the bashing continued, the court heard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla