Two Oz men jailed for race-hate bashing of Asian
Sydney: Two young men in Australia have been jailed for what a judge has described as a ‘deplorable’, ‘brutal’ and ‘unprovoked’ race-hate bashing.
Shannon Hudson was sentenced to 10 years and six months in jail on and his co-accused Wayne O`Brien was jailed for four years and six months.
While sentencing them, the Supreme Court Justice Betty King said more needed to be done to determine why there were so many angry and unhappy young people in society, particularly males.
Both men from Victoria, aged 21, pleaded guilty to intentionally causing serious injury to the 21-year-old Vietnamese international student on the night of June 27 this year, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
The pair and another friend, who cannot be identified because he was only 17, were on their way to Hudson`s Ascot Vale home after a day of drinking in the city, when they noticed the student walking on the opposite side listening to music on his iPhone.
The court heard that one of the three ran across the road and the others followed and began punching and kicking their victim without provocation.
They taunted him and yelled things including “you f...ing Gook” and “lie down you dog, you yellow dog” as the man begged for his life.
The student made several attempts to escape from his attackers as he screamed and begged for mercy, but each time was returned to the ground and the bashing continued, the court heard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...