Two policemen, 9 militants killed in Xinjiang attack
Beijing: Two policemen and nine suspected Islamist militants were killed in a clash when rebels attacked a police station in the Uyghur-majority Xinjiang province of northwest China on Saturday.
Two policemen were also injured in the attack on the police station in Serikbuya Township of Bachu County in Kashgar Prefecture.
The nine assailants, including one identified as Abla Ehet, were armed with knives and axes, state-run Xinhua quoted local police as saying.
The restive Xinjiang province faced unrest between Uyghurs and members of Han community over the increasing settlements of Hans in the province.
China blames East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM), fighting for independence of Xinjiang, for the violence.
Beijing blamed the group for the October 29 suicide attack at the Tiananmen square in which five people, including three suicide attackers, were killed and 40 others injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion