Two Qaeda-linked British Pakistanis challenge conviction
London: Two al Qaeda linked terrorists, one of them who had plotted to kill thousands of people in a bomb attack on a British shopping centre, are trying to get their convictions cancelled on human rights grounds.
The duo, said to be British Pakistanis, have applied to the European Court of Human Rights after claiming British intelligence agency MI5 was complicit in their torture by Pakistani security services, a claim that has already been rejected by British courts.
Officials at the European Court have, however, allowed their application to go ahead rather than declaring it inadmissible.
According to The Telegraph, European judges will have to decide the case as to whether the terrorists were tortured with the complicity of British security forces.
Lord Carlile, the QC who until last year served as the Government`s independent reviewer of terrorism legislation, said that if the case went ahead he believed it would be the first time terrorist convictions has been challenged at Strasbourg in this way.
One of the extremists, Salahuddin Amin, was jailed for life in 2007 for his role in a terrorist cell that conspired to detonate a massive fertilizer-based bomb at Bluewater shopping centre in Kent or at London`s Ministry of Sound nightclub, the report said.
Amin`s lawyers allege that the British authorities knew that incriminating evidence against him had been obtained through torture. He claimed MI5 was complicit in his torture by Pakistani security agents, whom he alleges used pliers to remove three of his fingernails, the report added.
The second convicted terrorist, Rangzieb Ahmed, is the highest ranking member of al Qaeda who is yet to be put on trial in Britain.
Ahmed, 37, was at the centre of al Qaeda`s global web and had links with every British terrorist cell, including the July 7 and July 21 plotters.
In paperwork submitted to the European Court, Amin claims his right to a fair trial was breached because information against him was "obtained through the use of torture and inhuman and degrading treatment", the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?