Two rockets hit Beirut as Hezbollah vows victory in Syria
Zee Media Bureau
Beirut: Just hours after Hezbollah chief Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah pledged to bring victory to Syrian President Bashar al Assad’s regime in Syrian civil war; two rockets on Sunday pounded two Beirut neighborhoods controlled by the Shiite militant organization Hezbollah, reports said.
At least four have been injured in the rocket attack, which comes in the wake of heightened tension in Lebanon after violence in strategic Syrian town of Qusair near the Lebanese frontier where Hezbollah sent government troops to fight Syrian rebels.
Nasrallah`s remarks came after Hezbollah fighters have pushed to the front lines of the battle for the town of Qusair.
One rocket landed in the Mar Mikhael district on the southern edge of the capital, striking a car exhibit on the street. Another struck an apartment in a building in Chiyah district south of Beirut, about two kilometers (one mile) away from Mar Mikhael.
Hezbollah`s Al-Manar TV said the Chiyah rocket did not explode.
The state-run National News Agency said among the wounded were three Syrians.
Yesterday, speaking at 13th anniversary of Israel`s withdrawal from southern Lebanon in May 2000, Hezbollah leader Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah vowed to make Assad’s regime victorious in the bloody civil war in Syria.
In a televised address, he also said Hezbollah members are fighting in Syria against Islamic radicals who pose a danger to Lebanon, and pledged that his group will not allow Syrian militants to control areas along the Lebanese border. He pledged that Hezbollah will turn the tide of the conflict in Assad`s favor, and stay as long as necessary to do so.
“I say to all the honourable people, to the mujahedeen, to the heroes: I have always promised you a victory and now I pledge to you a new one" in Syria, he added.
"We will continue this road until the end, we will take the responsibility and we will make all the sacrifices," he said. "We will be victorious."
The Hezbollah leader`s comments offered the clearest public confirmation yet that the Iranian-backed group is directly involved in Syria`s war. They also were Nasrallah`s first remarks since Hezbollah fighters have pushed to the front lines of the battle for the strategic Syrian town of Qusair near the Lebanese frontier.
The fight in Qusair has proven a deadly grind for both sides. On Saturday, government forces backed by Hezbollah militants shelled the town in the heaviest barrage yet of a week-long assault to dislodge rebels from the opposition stronghold, activists said.
Since the regime offensive began Wednesday, Syrian state media has said government forces have steadily gained ground. Local activists deny that pro-Assad forces have made headway and say rebel fighters are defending their positions.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 30 people, including 27 rebels, were killed and dozens wounded Saturday in the town, which holds strategic importance for both the regime and the opposition.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25