Two Saudis die of MERS virus: Ministry
Riyadh: Two Saudis have died after contracting the MERS coronavirus, the health ministry said on Thurday, bringing the total number of fatalities from the SARS-like virus in the kingdom to 49.
A 75-year-old woman, who had suffered chronic illnesses, died in the western city of Medina, while a man, 83, who also had chronic diseases, died in the capital, the ministry website said.
The ministry also registered three new cases, bringing to 107 the total number of infections in Saudi Arabia, the country worst hit by the virus.
The World Health Organisation said on September 7 that it has been informed of 114 cases of MERS infection worldwide, among them 54 fatalities.
Experts are struggling to understand MERS, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, for which there is still no vaccine.
It is considered a cousin of the SARS virus that erupted in Asia in 2003 and infected 8,273 people, nine percent of whom died.
Like SARS, MERS is thought to have jumped from animals to humans, and it shares the former`s flu-like symptoms -- but differs by also causing kidney failure.
The MERS problem persists in Saudi Arabia, which is gearing up to host around two million Muslims in October for the annual hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.
Authorities have urged the elderly and chronically ill to avoid the hajj this year and have cut back on the numbers of people they will allow to perform the pilgrimage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy