Two sentenced in plot to ship aircraft to Iran
Washington: A US court has sentenced an Iranian and an American national for their roles in a plot to ship aircraft and its parts to Islamic Republic Iran.
While the Iranian citizen Hamid Asefi, 67, was sentenced to 23 months, a US citizen Behzad Karimian, (52), also known as "Tony" Karimian who holds a valid Iranian passport and is employed as a Mesaba Airlines Pilot, was sentenced to 52 months in prison yesterday.
The two had pleaded guilty to the charges.
Karimian and Asefi were charged with violation of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act for exporting, selling or causing the export or sale of aircraft and aircraft parts without having the required license from the US Department of Treasury.
Asefi made his initial appearance in Louisville District Court in Kentucky on June 1, 2012 while Karimian appeared in the Court on June 6, 2012.
Asefi is the principal officer of Aster Corp Ltd, an Iranian company with offices in both Iran and the United Kingdom.
The indictment charges that, from August 2007 to April 2011, Asefi used the UK office of Aster to serve as a trans-shipment point to facilitate shipment of goods from the United States to Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical