Two sentenced to death for China explosion
Beijing: Two men were sentenced to death Wednesday after being found guilty of plotting and causing an explosion that killed four people and injured 16 others, a court in southwest China`s Yunnan Province has ruled.
The explosion happened in May 2012 in a community service centre in Qiaojia County, Zhaotong City, killing three residents and an official.
The Intermediate People`s Court in Zhaotong City heard during the trial, which opened Jan 16, that Deng Deyong and Song Zhaoyu, planned to bomb the centre because Deng had a house relocation dispute with officials, Xinhua reported. Deng made an explosive device with a cellphone, light switch and electric detonators.
According to the prosecutor, Deng was unhappy to have been excluded from entitlement to house relocation subsidies because he did not have a property ownership certificate for his home.
On May 10, 2012, Deng and Song promised to offer a resident, Zhao Dengyong, a temporary job if he carried a bag containing the explosive into the service centre and turned the power switch on. They offered Zhao 100 yuan ($16.54), according to the prosecutor.
Deng detonated the bomb as soon as Zhao went into the centre at around 9 a.m. Zhao was among the four people killed in the explosion.
The court Wednesday also ordered Deng and Song to pay 980,000 yuan ($161,000) in compensation to 28 people who suffered losses in the blast.
An explosives dealer, Chen Hezhi, who sold 35 flash detonators and six electric detonators, was tried at the same trial with Deng and Song. He was sentenced to eight years in prison for buying and selling explosives illegally.
All three informed the court they would be appealing their sentences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka