Two sentenced to death for drug trafficking in China
Beijing: Two men, including a French citizen
of Chinese origin were sentenced to death by a court for drug
The two drug traffickers were given the death penalty for
manufacturing, transporting and selling large amounts of
crystal methamphetamine, known as "ice", in south China`s
Chan Thao Phoumy, a 47-year-old Chinese French, and Xie
Weiming, also had their personal assets confiscated, according
to the sentence handed down by the Intermediate People`s Court
of Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong yesterday.
The eight-member drug ring had manufactured tons of ice
drugs between 1999 and 2003 in Guangdong and central Henan
Province, and they sold the drugs on many occasions, the court
was told, state run Xinhua newsagency reported today.
Two other traffickers in the ring, Li Yunfeng and Xian
Jinbai, were sentenced to death but with a two-year reprieve.
Three others were jailed for life while one other man was
sentenced to 20 years imprisonment, according to the court.
Drug cases in China shot up 16 per cent last year from
2008, with a shift towards newer types of narcotics, including
methamphetamine and ketamine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video