Two sentenced to death for drug trafficking in China
Beijing: Two men, including a French citizen
of Chinese origin were sentenced to death by a court for drug
The two drug traffickers were given the death penalty for
manufacturing, transporting and selling large amounts of
crystal methamphetamine, known as "ice", in south China`s
Chan Thao Phoumy, a 47-year-old Chinese French, and Xie
Weiming, also had their personal assets confiscated, according
to the sentence handed down by the Intermediate People`s Court
of Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong yesterday.
The eight-member drug ring had manufactured tons of ice
drugs between 1999 and 2003 in Guangdong and central Henan
Province, and they sold the drugs on many occasions, the court
was told, state run Xinhua newsagency reported today.
Two other traffickers in the ring, Li Yunfeng and Xian
Jinbai, were sentenced to death but with a two-year reprieve.
Three others were jailed for life while one other man was
sentenced to 20 years imprisonment, according to the court.
Drug cases in China shot up 16 per cent last year from
2008, with a shift towards newer types of narcotics, including
methamphetamine and ketamine.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today