Two teenage UK girls arrested after firefighter dies
London: Two 15-year-old girls have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after a firefighter was killed tackling a blaze in Manchester.
"A joint investigation into the cause of the fire is underway and two 15-year-old girls have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and are currently in police custody for questioning," Manchester Police said in a statement.
Detective Superintendent Phil Owen said: "We are working with our colleagues from the fire service to establish how this fire, which has tragically claimed the life of a fire fighter, started.
"We have already arrested two juveniles in connection with the fire and our enquiries are continuing," Owen said.
Stephen Hunt was among 60 firefighters called to the fire in the store-room of Paul`s Hair World in Oldham Street.
A spokesman said the 38-year-old got into difficulty at along with another firefighter and both were taken to hospital.
Hunt, a father-of-two, was based at Manchester`s Philips Park Fire Station.
He was confirmed dead in hospital.
The other injured firefighter is not thought to have life-threatening injuries, the BBC quoted a Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service spokesman as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured