Two teenage UK girls arrested after firefighter dies
London: Two 15-year-old girls have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after a firefighter was killed tackling a blaze in Manchester.
"A joint investigation into the cause of the fire is underway and two 15-year-old girls have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and are currently in police custody for questioning," Manchester Police said in a statement.
Detective Superintendent Phil Owen said: "We are working with our colleagues from the fire service to establish how this fire, which has tragically claimed the life of a fire fighter, started.
"We have already arrested two juveniles in connection with the fire and our enquiries are continuing," Owen said.
Stephen Hunt was among 60 firefighters called to the fire in the store-room of Paul`s Hair World in Oldham Street.
A spokesman said the 38-year-old got into difficulty at along with another firefighter and both were taken to hospital.
Hunt, a father-of-two, was based at Manchester`s Philips Park Fire Station.
He was confirmed dead in hospital.
The other injured firefighter is not thought to have life-threatening injuries, the BBC quoted a Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service spokesman as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagwant Mann smells of alcohol, can't sit next to him: Suspended AAP MP Harinder Khalsa
- Simply irresistible! You cannot take your eyes off majestic Priyanka Chopra on Flaunt cover- See it to believe it
- Varun Dhawan, Jacqueline and John Abraham run for their lives in new 'Dishoom' POSTER? Pic inside
- Ruling due on whether IMF chief to face trial in France
- Vodafone reports better-than-expected 2.2% rise in Q1 revenue