Two terror suspects arrested in London
London: Two Muslim converts have been arrested in London on suspicion of terror offenses, a British security official said on Thursday, although it remains unclear whether the men were arrested as part of an alleged plot.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity he was not authorised to discuss the matter publicly, said he didn`t know whether the arrests were related to the upcoming Olympic Games.
Security is tight ahead of the London games, which begin on July 27.
Intelligence officials say there has been an expected increase in chatter among extremist groups but there are still no specific or credible threats. The terror level is labelled substantial, a notch below severe and what it has been for much of the past decade. A substantial threat level indicates that an attack is a strong possibility.
This week European security officials told AP that they were tracking a Norwegian Muslim convert who had gone to Yemen for training and had since become "operational."
London`s Metropolitan Police Service did not immediately return calls seeking comment on the arrests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez