Two terror suspects arrested in London
London: Two Muslim converts have been arrested in London on suspicion of terror offenses, a British security official said on Thursday, although it remains unclear whether the men were arrested as part of an alleged plot.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity he was not authorised to discuss the matter publicly, said he didn`t know whether the arrests were related to the upcoming Olympic Games.
Security is tight ahead of the London games, which begin on July 27.
Intelligence officials say there has been an expected increase in chatter among extremist groups but there are still no specific or credible threats. The terror level is labelled substantial, a notch below severe and what it has been for much of the past decade. A substantial threat level indicates that an attack is a strong possibility.
This week European security officials told AP that they were tracking a Norwegian Muslim convert who had gone to Yemen for training and had since become "operational."
London`s Metropolitan Police Service did not immediately return calls seeking comment on the arrests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack