Two terror suspects arrested in London
London: Two Muslim converts have been arrested in London on suspicion of terror offenses, a British security official said on Thursday, although it remains unclear whether the men were arrested as part of an alleged plot.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity he was not authorised to discuss the matter publicly, said he didn`t know whether the arrests were related to the upcoming Olympic Games.
Security is tight ahead of the London games, which begin on July 27.
Intelligence officials say there has been an expected increase in chatter among extremist groups but there are still no specific or credible threats. The terror level is labelled substantial, a notch below severe and what it has been for much of the past decade. A substantial threat level indicates that an attack is a strong possibility.
This week European security officials told AP that they were tracking a Norwegian Muslim convert who had gone to Yemen for training and had since become "operational."
London`s Metropolitan Police Service did not immediately return calls seeking comment on the arrests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'