Two Tibetans latest to burn themselves
Beijing: Two Tibetan monks set themselves on fire in a western Chinese city in the latest in a wave of self-immolations protesting against Chinese rule, exiled monks and a Tibet advocacy group said.
The conditions of the two monks were not known after the simultaneous immolations on Friday in Maerkang, London-based Free Tibet said. The exiled monks in Dharamsala, India, said one protester died, and police took him and the other monk to a government hospital to prevent them from becoming a focus of larger demonstrations.
The monks, identified as Tenpa Darjey and Chimey Palden, came from a monastery 80 kilometres (50 miles) away. When fellow clergy learned of the immolations, they set out for the city only to be blocked by police about halfway there, said the exiles, Losang Yeshe and Kanyag Tsering.
Police and government offices in Maerkang, which is known to Tibetans as Barkham, either declined comment or said they had not heard about the protest when reached by phone on Saturday.
If confirmed, they would bring to more than 30 the immolations staged in a little more than a year to protest the increasingly heavy security and intrusive controls on the Buddhist religious practices that are at the centre of Tibetan life. Many of those burning themselves are monks and nuns, who have long been in the forefront of protests against China`s often heavy-handed rule of Tibet.
One of the monks in Friday`s immolation, Chimey Palden, had been detained for a month in 2010 while visiting Lhasa, the exiled monks and Free Tibet said. Police searched him and found a photo of the exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, a Tibetan national flag and a nationalist song recorded on his mobile phone, said the exiled monks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India