Two Turkish journalists held in Cairo
Cairo: The Egyptian army has arrested two Turkish television journalists in the capital, Turkish media reported Tuesday.
Nazli Oztarhan, bureau chief of Turkey`s private StarTv channel, said reporter Murat Uslu and cameraman Zafer Karakas were arrested, but the reason for the arrests was not immediately known.
"The Turkish embassy in Cairo has contacted Egypt`s foreign ministry and military authorities. We want them to be freed immediately," Oztarhan wrote on Twitter.
The Hurriyet daily said Turkish authorities have appealed for the men`s immediate release.
Turkish journalists who witnessed the arrests told the daily that the military seized all of Uslu and Karakas` equipment as well as their passports.
An Egyptian acting as a fixer for the two Turkish men was also briefly arrested before being released.
Turkey Tuesday strongly condemned the killings of at least 51 people by the Egyptian military Monday outside the headquarters of the Republican Guard in Cairo, where deposed president Mohamed Morsi is being kept.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference