Two unarmed female police officers killed in UK
London: Two unarmed female police officers were fatally wounded Tuesday as they attempted to deal with an apparently routine call about a burglary, Greater Manchester Police said.
Chief Constable Peter Fahy told a news conference that Fiona Bone, 32, and Nicola Hughes, 23, died shortly after a gunman opened fire and also set off a grenade in Tameside, Greater Manchester, in northwest England.
He said that Dale Cregan, 29, the focus of an intense police manhunt as a suspect in two murders last month, surrendered at a police station shortly after the incident, and was booked on suspicion of murder.
Fahy said that Cregan, or an associate, had telephoned police reporting a burglary this morning, and the two officers responded. "When they arrived, it appears then that Cregan emerged into the road and killed these two officers," he said.
Fahy said the motive was "impossible to fathom."
Warren Shepherd, a window cleaner, told reporters at the scene in that he "heard gunshots -- bang, bang, bang -- around 10 of them, then a pause and a big explosion."
Cregan had been sought following the grenade and gunshot killing of David Short, 46, on August 10 and the shooting death of his son, Mark Short, 23, on May 25.
The death of a female officer on duty is a rare occurrence in Britain, where most officers do not carry firearms.
Prime Minister David Cameron describes the shootings as "a shocking reminder of the debt we owe to those who put themselves in danger to keep us safe and secure."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out