Two US high school students found guilty of rape
Washington: Two high school students in the US who were accused of raping a 16-year-old girl have been found guilty by a court in Ohio state.
Judge Thomas Lipps announced his decision after reviewing evidence presented over four days of testimony against Trent Mays, 17, and Ma`Lik Richmond, 16, who were tried as juveniles, Xinhua reported.
The victim was not present when the ruling was read.
Mays was sentenced to a minimum of two years in a juvenile correctional facility, while Richmond was given a sentence of a minimum of one year, but like Mays he could be placed in detention until he is 21.
Mays was also found guilty of disseminating nude images of a minor.
The trial gained national attention for lurid text messages, cell phone pictures and videos, and social media posts surrounding the sexual abuse of the victim girl.
Mays and Richmond were accused of raping the allegedly drunk girl during heavy partying in August 2012.
The judge said many of the documents and text messages were "profane" and "ugly" and the case showed alcohol "as a particular danger to our teenage youth".
Both Mays and Richmond apologised to the victim and her family in the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof