Two US high school students found guilty of rape
Washington: Two high school students in the US who were accused of raping a 16-year-old girl have been found guilty by a court in Ohio state.
Judge Thomas Lipps announced his decision after reviewing evidence presented over four days of testimony against Trent Mays, 17, and Ma`Lik Richmond, 16, who were tried as juveniles, Xinhua reported.
The victim was not present when the ruling was read.
Mays was sentenced to a minimum of two years in a juvenile correctional facility, while Richmond was given a sentence of a minimum of one year, but like Mays he could be placed in detention until he is 21.
Mays was also found guilty of disseminating nude images of a minor.
The trial gained national attention for lurid text messages, cell phone pictures and videos, and social media posts surrounding the sexual abuse of the victim girl.
Mays and Richmond were accused of raping the allegedly drunk girl during heavy partying in August 2012.
The judge said many of the documents and text messages were "profane" and "ugly" and the case showed alcohol "as a particular danger to our teenage youth".
Both Mays and Richmond apologised to the victim and her family in the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Suspended AAP MP Dharamvira Gandhi floats new front
- Now, get your email address in Hindi
- None of your concern, says Indian Army after China's warning over deployment of BrahMos missile in Arunachal
- PHOTOS: BRUTAL! Randy Orton receives 10 staples after Brock Lesnar's assault at SummerSlam
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir