Two US varsities evacuated after bomb threats
Washington: Two US universities on Friday asked all employees and students to leave their campuses after the institutes received separate bomb threats, Xinhua reported.
The North Dakota State University in Fargo posted a statement on its website, and sent an emergency message to students around 9.50 am, ordering all employees and students to leave campus by 10.15 am.
"This includes residence hall students, who, if necessary, should walk to locations off campus. This also includes the downtown buildings and agricultural facilities," Xinhua quoted the statement as saying.
The statement said a bomb threat prompted the evacuation order, but gave no further details. More than 14,000 students are enrolled at the university.
The University of Texas in Austin also ordered an evacuation around 10 am after a man claiming to be affiliated with the al Qaeda called in a bomb threat, according to university officials.
"Immediately evacuate all buildings and get as far away as possible. More information to come," said an alert posted online and sent to students.
"We received a bomb threat this morning (Friday) from a man claiming to be part of al Qaeda," university spokesman Gary Susswein was quoted as saying.
ABC News said a warning call came in shortly after 8.30 am, with a man saying there were bombs on campus that would go off within 90 minutes, police said.
"Out of an abundance of caution, we`re evacuating all buildings, making sure all buildings are secure," the university spokesman said.
It was not known if the two bomb threats were related.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'