Two US varsities evacuated after bomb threats
Washington: Two US universities on Friday asked all employees and students to leave their campuses after the institutes received separate bomb threats, Xinhua reported.
The North Dakota State University in Fargo posted a statement on its website, and sent an emergency message to students around 9.50 am, ordering all employees and students to leave campus by 10.15 am.
"This includes residence hall students, who, if necessary, should walk to locations off campus. This also includes the downtown buildings and agricultural facilities," Xinhua quoted the statement as saying.
The statement said a bomb threat prompted the evacuation order, but gave no further details. More than 14,000 students are enrolled at the university.
The University of Texas in Austin also ordered an evacuation around 10 am after a man claiming to be affiliated with the al Qaeda called in a bomb threat, according to university officials.
"Immediately evacuate all buildings and get as far away as possible. More information to come," said an alert posted online and sent to students.
"We received a bomb threat this morning (Friday) from a man claiming to be part of al Qaeda," university spokesman Gary Susswein was quoted as saying.
ABC News said a warning call came in shortly after 8.30 am, with a man saying there were bombs on campus that would go off within 90 minutes, police said.
"Out of an abundance of caution, we`re evacuating all buildings, making sure all buildings are secure," the university spokesman said.
It was not known if the two bomb threats were related.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan