Two US warships cross Egypt`s Suez Canal
Cairo: Egyptian officials say two US vessels have crossed the Suez Canal en route to the Mediterranean Sea to be close to Libya.
The nuclear-powered submarine USS Providence and Destroyer USS Mason entered the canal on Saturday from the Red Sea.
The officials said the warships are part of the American carrier battle group led by the USS Enterprise. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media.
US military officials have ordered warships into the Mediterranean in case they are needed for Libya-related operations ranging from humanitarian assistance to possible military action.
There are at least five major US warships in the Mediterranean, including the USS Kearsarge with a contingent of US Marines on board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi