Two US women stars may shake up 2012 vote
Washington: They are two conservative
political rock stars who can work a room and galvanise a
crowd, and both are flirting with a run for the White House,
the grand prize of US politics.
But is there room enough in the narrowing field of
Republican presidential contenders for both Sarah Palin, a
former vice presidential candidate, and Michelle Bachmann, a
One female politician vying for the White House is
rare enough, given that a woman has never been at the top of
either the Democratic or Republican presidential ticket.
Observers say it is astonishing to contemplate two
women -- especially with such similar political profiles --
battling to stand in the November 2012 elections, most likely
against President Barack Obama, a Democrat.
Some pundits have noted that both Palin, 47, and
Bachmann, 55, boast good looks, conservative family values and
a strong Christian faith -- similarities suggesting they may
cancel each other out in a showdown.
But longtime political pundit Larry Sabato said that
while it was unlikely that both women would toss their hats
into the ring, the fluid Republican field could accommodate
the pair of them.
"They could both run," Sabato, who runs the University
of Virginia`s Center for Politics, said.
"There`s room enough, simply because the field is so
broad anyway that it`s possible that the winner in Iowa and
New Hampshire could get just 20 or 30 percent," he added,
referring to the first races for the parties` nominations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?