Tymoshenko defiance plunges Ukraine into uncertainty
Kiev: Ukraine was on Wednesday braced for fresh
political instability after the party of Prime Minister Yulia
Tymoshenko refused to acknowledge her defeat in presidential
elections over alleged violations.
Three days after the pro-Russia Viktor Yanukovych beat
Tymoshenko by a margin of some 3.5 per cent, she has yet to
concede and her party has called for a partial recount.
With politician tensions riding high, thousands of
Yanukovych supporters today rallied for the third day in a row
outside the headquarters of the election commission with the
aim of ensuring the results stood.
Tymoshenko has disappeared from public view since making
a short comment on exit polls after Sunday`s vote, with aides
repeatedly announcing and then cancelling news conferences.
It was now unclear when the usually talkative prime
minister famed for her golden hair braid would reappear.
But aides said the prime minister`s party would allege in
court that substantial regional poll violations had taken
place and could then even question the overall outcome.
The conduct of Sunday`s vote and the campaign that
preceded it have received ringing endorsements from Western
observers and governments who have characterised it as free,
fair and in line with democratic standards.
The foreign ministry of Canada, home to one of the
largest ethnic Ukrainian communities in the world, meanwhile
called for the post-election process to continue in an orderly
fashion and also made no mention of Yanukovych.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella India visit: Talks of transformative role of apps and services to come
- MEA official meets deceased Congolese national's family
- Good news for Rail Passengers! No service charge on ticket booked through card from June 1
- Japan keen to invest in India’s infrastructure growth story: Finance Minister
- People have figured out: Liam Hemsworth on reunion with Miley