Tymoshenko`s husband seeking asylum in Prague
Kiev (Ukraine): The husband of Ukraine`s jailed opposition leader and former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko has fled to the Czech Republic where he is seeking political asylum, officials said on Friday.
Tymoshenko`s party said Oleksandr Tymoshenko -- a
51-year-old businessman with a stake in the Czech company
International Industrial Projects -- fled because the
authorities were using him to put pressure on his wife.
Czech Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg said the
application would probably be granted, telling state-run Czech
Radio: "It was clear from our talks with the interior minister
that the interior ministry has decided to grant the asylum."
Prague last year granted asylum to Bogdan Danylyshyn,
economy minister in Tymoshenko`s government in 2007-2010,
causing a row with Ukraine that led to the expulsion of two
Czech diplomats for alleged espionage in May 2011.
Yulia Tymoshenko, the leader of the 2004 Orange
Revolution, was sentenced in October to seven years in jail
after being convicted of abuse of power while in office.
She claims the verdict was ordered by President Viktor
Yanukovych in a case that has severely damaged ties with the
Tymoshenko`s conviction was quickly followed by charges
of financial crimes, allegedly committed while she was head of
the state power company in the 1990s, that could keep her in
prison even if the first case against her is overturned.
The second case also involves her husband, who spent a
year in custody on charges of embezzlement in 2000-2001 but
was freed because of a lack of evidence.
"(Oleksandr Tymoshenko) has sought political asylum in
connection with the growing pressure being put on the
opposition leader through her family," Tymoshenko`s
Batkivshchyna party said on its website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow