Typhoon blows near Philippines, evacuations urged
Manila: A strong typhoon was heading toward the southern Philippines today, and hundreds of people were evacuating coastal areas in the storm`s path.
Fishermen and ships were warned not to venture out to sea.
Typhoon Bopha is expected to hit land tomorrow morning but would not directly hit Manila if it stays on its current path, government weather forecaster Jori Loiz said.
The storm has sustained winds of 175 kilometers per hour (109 miles per hour) and gusts of up to 210 kph (130 mph). Its center was 550 kilometers (342 miles) southeast of Surigao del Sur province`s Hinatuan township Monday morning. It is moving at 24 kph (15 mph).
Hundreds of residents of islands and other high-risk areas in Surigao del Sur have been asked to go to evacuation centers to avert casualties, Office of Civil Defense regional official Amado Posas said. Classes have been suspended, dump trucks have been readied to ferry more residents when needed, he added.
Posas said some residents have been reluctant to leave their homes because the province was sunny Monday morning. It was not yet clear how many have already evacuated, but he said an estimated 600 to 800 people were ordered to evacuate from islands in the archipelago nation.
Benito Ramos, who heads the government`s disaster response agency, says provincial officials have placed food packs and other emergency equipment in areas where the typhoon may pass.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams