Typhoon Bopha devastates Philippines, 283 dead
Manila: Bringing in torrential rains and high winds, Typhoon Bopha unleashed heavy destruction in southern Philippines as the death toll on Wednesday shot up from 43 to more than 283, even as many others were left missing, as per reports.
Typhoon Bopha struck Mindanao island on Tuesday, killing at least 43 in flash floods and engulfing the places like village hall and schools where people were sheltering from the storm.
Officials fear that the death toll could rise further.
Six villagers drowned in floods in Montevista town, Compostela Valley provincial spokeswoman Fe Maestre said.
In nearby Davao Oriental province, 51 people died, mostly in floods, while two men perished when fierce wind ripped their boat from its mooring and it sank on central Siquijor island, according to disaster-response officials.
Bopha, one of the strongest typhoons to hit the country this year, struck Davao Oriental at dawn on Tuesday then barreled across southern and central provinces, triggering landslides, flooding and cutting off power in two entire provinces.
It was roaring toward western Palawan province on Wednesday and was expected to blow out toward the South China Sea the next day.
Last year, Typhoon Washi had struck Philippines killing 1300 people.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof