Typhoon Bopha devastates Philippines, 283 dead
Manila: Bringing in torrential rains and high winds, Typhoon Bopha unleashed heavy destruction in southern Philippines as the death toll on Wednesday shot up from 43 to more than 283, even as many others were left missing, as per reports.
Typhoon Bopha struck Mindanao island on Tuesday, killing at least 43 in flash floods and engulfing the places like village hall and schools where people were sheltering from the storm.
Officials fear that the death toll could rise further.
Six villagers drowned in floods in Montevista town, Compostela Valley provincial spokeswoman Fe Maestre said.
In nearby Davao Oriental province, 51 people died, mostly in floods, while two men perished when fierce wind ripped their boat from its mooring and it sank on central Siquijor island, according to disaster-response officials.
Bopha, one of the strongest typhoons to hit the country this year, struck Davao Oriental at dawn on Tuesday then barreled across southern and central provinces, triggering landslides, flooding and cutting off power in two entire provinces.
It was roaring toward western Palawan province on Wednesday and was expected to blow out toward the South China Sea the next day.
Last year, Typhoon Washi had struck Philippines killing 1300 people.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning