Typhoon Bopha devastates Philippines, 283 dead
Manila: Bringing in torrential rains and high winds, Typhoon Bopha unleashed heavy destruction in southern Philippines as the death toll on Wednesday shot up from 43 to more than 283, even as many others were left missing, as per reports.
Typhoon Bopha struck Mindanao island on Tuesday, killing at least 43 in flash floods and engulfing the places like village hall and schools where people were sheltering from the storm.
Officials fear that the death toll could rise further.
Six villagers drowned in floods in Montevista town, Compostela Valley provincial spokeswoman Fe Maestre said.
In nearby Davao Oriental province, 51 people died, mostly in floods, while two men perished when fierce wind ripped their boat from its mooring and it sank on central Siquijor island, according to disaster-response officials.
Bopha, one of the strongest typhoons to hit the country this year, struck Davao Oriental at dawn on Tuesday then barreled across southern and central provinces, triggering landslides, flooding and cutting off power in two entire provinces.
It was roaring toward western Palawan province on Wednesday and was expected to blow out toward the South China Sea the next day.
Last year, Typhoon Washi had struck Philippines killing 1300 people.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad