Typhoon dislocates lakhs in China, 10 killed in dam burst
Beijing: Ten people were killed and 27 injured in a dam burst in China due to heavy rains caused by typhoon Haikui which affected lakhs of people and toppled over 7,000 houses.
Dikes of Shenjiakeng Reservoir, a rainwater pooling dam in Zhoushan City, east China`s Zhejiang Province collapsed this morning flooding the nearby areas.
Ten people died and 27 injured in the flooding that followed the dam burst, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The Zhajiang provincial authorities have urged an all-out effort searching for the missing.
A water conservancy expert team sent by the provincial government has arrived at the site to help carry out emergency repairs of the dam.
Zhejiang has been lashed by downpours over the last few days with the arrival of typhoon Haikui, which landed in the province early Wednesday morning before moving into neighbouring Anhui Province.
The typhoon affected more than 330,000 people in east China`s Jiangxi Province, Xinhua reported.
Typhoon-triggered torrential rainstorms have battered Jiangxi since the typhoon made landfall early Wednesday morning in east China`s Zhejiang Province, according to the provincial flood control and drought relief headquarters.
Over 33,780 residents had been relocated in the province.
State television reported over 7000 houses were damaged 2000 tourists were rescued from resort which was cut off by floods.
The city of Jingdezhen, which was hit hard by heavy rains, received 328 mm of rain, the headquarters said, adding that 182,440 people were affected in the city.
Haikui, the 11th typhoon of the year, was the third typhoon to wallop China`s eastern coast in a week, after storms Saola and Damrey hit the region over the weekend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video