Typhoon Fitow kills 10 in east China province
Beijing: Ten people have died after a typhoon slammed into China`s east coast, including a family of three who were all killed by electric shocks, state media reported on Wednesday.
Five others are still missing after Typhoon Fitow brought heavy rains to Zhejiang province, Xinhua news agency reported, citing local authorities.
Fitow made landfall early Monday, affecting about seven million people in 11 cities in Zhejiang, with houses torn down and grain flooded, Xinhua reported.
In Wenzhou city, the storm claimed at least 10 lives -- eight of whom died of electric shocks, including the three family members, the agency reported late today, citing a statement from the local government.
Two others died after their car plunged into a river, the statement reportedly said.
Parts of Zhejiang, which neighbours the commercial hub Shanghai, saw nearly 29 centimetres (11 inches) of rain over 17 hours from Sunday to Monday, the official China News Service said.
Today, Xinhua said the rain had flooded roads and houses, causing river breaches and power failures, with more than 250,000 people still without power that morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured