Typhoon Fitow kills 10 in east China province
Beijing: Ten people have died after a typhoon slammed into China`s east coast, including a family of three who were all killed by electric shocks, state media reported on Wednesday.
Five others are still missing after Typhoon Fitow brought heavy rains to Zhejiang province, Xinhua news agency reported, citing local authorities.
Fitow made landfall early Monday, affecting about seven million people in 11 cities in Zhejiang, with houses torn down and grain flooded, Xinhua reported.
In Wenzhou city, the storm claimed at least 10 lives -- eight of whom died of electric shocks, including the three family members, the agency reported late today, citing a statement from the local government.
Two others died after their car plunged into a river, the statement reportedly said.
Parts of Zhejiang, which neighbours the commercial hub Shanghai, saw nearly 29 centimetres (11 inches) of rain over 17 hours from Sunday to Monday, the official China News Service said.
Today, Xinhua said the rain had flooded roads and houses, causing river breaches and power failures, with more than 250,000 people still without power that morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- 'Mann Ki Baat': PM Narendra Modi to address nation today, may talk to Army jawans
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015