Typhoon Haiyan: 10,000 dead in Philippines, to make landfall in Vietnam
Zee Media Bureau
Tacloban: Typhoon Haiyan, one of the fiercest storms on record to ever have made landfall, ripped through the Philippine province of Leyte killing at least 10, 000 in the island alone, said a top police official.
The typhoon displaced over 3 lakh people and affected 4.3 million people, said the UN humanitarian agency.
Armed with violent gusts reaching 275 Km/h and sustained winds of 235km/h, the deadly storm ruined about 70 to 80 percent of the area that came in its way as it rushed through Letye province`s capital city of Tacloban, reports said.
The whopping figure of death toll was declared by regional police chief Elmer Soria who said that Letye province`s Governor had estimated the death toll at 10, 000 in the island alone, while Tacloban city administrator Tecson Lim told another news agency that 10, 000 were dead i n the city alone.
Lim added that only 300-400 bodies have been recovered so far.
Earlier the government estimated the number of those killed by the storm at 138 on Saturday night, while the Red Cross pegged the toll at 1200 yesterday.
The Philippine govt is yet to confirm the high death toll figure of 10, 000.
The monster typhoon Haiyna is a category 5 typhoon that brought along upto 400mm rains in places.
The officials said that most of the deaths were either form drowning or building collapses that was in turn triggered by the mighty sea waves of upto 15 metre in height that many likened to tsunami.
Moreover, hundreds of thousands were told to have been displaced from their homes.
The typhoon has unleashed a heartbreaking spectacle of destruction and death with the roads littered with debris and dead bodies afloat everywhere.
Other than causing deaths and sweeping away a sea of homes, the storm also disrupted power lines and destroyed the Tacloban airport.
The amount of devastation will need an "overwhelming" response from relief and rescue operations said Philippine Interior Secretary Mar Roxas, according to a BBC report.
The report added that the government had requested the US to help and the Pentagon said it was sending helicopters, fixed-wing aircraft and search and rescue equipments.
The super typhoo, however was reported to have weakened Sunday to 166 kph (103 mph) as it was headed foer Vietnam. It was forecasted that the typhoon could weaken further on Monday when it would make a landfall on Vietnam’s Thanh Hoa province.
In Vietnam, over eight lakh people have been moved to safer zones as people brace for a weakened Typhoon Haiyan, but even in its less fiercer form, the typhoon is supposed to bring rains and floods and cause damages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp