Typhoon Jelawat storms out of Japan after hurting dozens
Tokyo: Japanese witnessed blackouts and traffic snarls after a tropical storm named Jelawat struck the mainland before it whirled out of Japan on Monday after which it is expected to head towards the Pacific Ocean.
The typhoon inflicted minor injuries on 145 people in southern and western Japan, about half of them on the southern island of Okinawa, public broadcaster NHK said. Tens of thousands of homes were left without electricity.
Tokyo residents were instructed to stay indoors while Typhoon Jelawat passed Sunday night.
According to Japan`s Meteorological Agency, Jelawat is a "very strong" storm with maximum sustained winds near the center of just over 100 mph (165 km/h) but it weakened to a tropical storm with 108 kph (67 mph) in the morning.
On Sunday, Nagoya city issued an evacuation advisory to more than 50,000 residents because of fear of flooding from a swollen river. A similar advisory was issued for more than 10,000 people in the northern city of Ishinomaki that was hit by last year`s tsunami.
Kyodo news agency reported one fatality, a man who was swept away by seawater while fishing in Okinawa.
Dozens of trains were halted in coastal areas around Tokyo and many stores inside the capital closed early Sunday as the storm approached.
With Agency Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!