Typhoon Mawar hits Philippines; 2 dead, 5 missing
Manila: Disaster-response officials say the first typhoon to hit the Philippines this year has left two people dead, five missing and 16 others injured.
Office of Civil Defence administrator Benito Ramos and the weather bureau say Typhoon Mawar was blowing away off the mountainous northern Philippines Sunday toward southern Japan with sustained winds of 120 kilometres per hour and gusts of up to 150 kph.
Ramos says two children drowned in a swollen river in western Palawan province, which was not directly hit by the typhoon but was lashed by heavy rains.
He says five men, mostly fishermen, are missing and 16 people were injured in stormy weather.
About 20 storms batter the country each year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!