Typhoon Tembin batters Taiwan with rain, wind
Taipei: A powerful typhoon struck southern Taiwan on Friday, toppling trees, overturning vehicles and dumping rains that swelled rivers and flooded homes and farmlands.
No casualties were reported as Typhoon Tembin swooped its way across Pingtung and Kaohsiung counties, after making landfall around 2100 GMT yesterday.
By late morning it was back out at sea, apparently headed for the China coast, though forecasters warned it could return albeit weakened to dump more rain across Taiwan`s southern agricultural heartland.
The impact of the storm in the heavily populated areas of northern Taiwan was extremely limited. Businesses and schools in Taipei were operating normally, and flights at the capital`s two airports were unaffected.
With Tembin gradually weakening, attention began to turn to Typhoon Bolaven, which threatens to hit southern Japan over the weekend. Packing winds of 144 kph, the storm may further intensify, the Japan Meteorological Agency said, and it could hit Okinawa on Sunday.
Mindful of a devastating typhoon that took 700 lives three years ago, Taiwanese authorities took precautions a day before Tembin hit, evacuating more than 3,000 people from mountainous, landslide-prone areas, and putting thousands of troops on standby, ordering them to ready small boats and amphibious vehicles to rescue stranded residents.
For the most part they were not needed, but in the Pingtung town of Hengchun, where waters reached 3 meters high in some places, armoured vehicles were deployed to rescue several dozen people from their flooded homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash