Typhoon Tembin batters Taiwan with rain, wind
Taipei: A powerful typhoon struck southern Taiwan on Friday, toppling trees, overturning vehicles and dumping rains that swelled rivers and flooded homes and farmlands.
No casualties were reported as Typhoon Tembin swooped its way across Pingtung and Kaohsiung counties, after making landfall around 2100 GMT yesterday.
By late morning it was back out at sea, apparently headed for the China coast, though forecasters warned it could return albeit weakened to dump more rain across Taiwan`s southern agricultural heartland.
The impact of the storm in the heavily populated areas of northern Taiwan was extremely limited. Businesses and schools in Taipei were operating normally, and flights at the capital`s two airports were unaffected.
With Tembin gradually weakening, attention began to turn to Typhoon Bolaven, which threatens to hit southern Japan over the weekend. Packing winds of 144 kph, the storm may further intensify, the Japan Meteorological Agency said, and it could hit Okinawa on Sunday.
Mindful of a devastating typhoon that took 700 lives three years ago, Taiwanese authorities took precautions a day before Tembin hit, evacuating more than 3,000 people from mountainous, landslide-prone areas, and putting thousands of troops on standby, ordering them to ready small boats and amphibious vehicles to rescue stranded residents.
For the most part they were not needed, but in the Pingtung town of Hengchun, where waters reached 3 meters high in some places, armoured vehicles were deployed to rescue several dozen people from their flooded homes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram