Typhoon weakens to tropical storm in Vietnam
Hanoi: Vietnam is hunkering down in preparation for a weakened Typhoon Nesat, evacuating nearly 20,000 people from coastal areas. The hard-hit Philippines is bracing for yet another monster storm building off its coast in a region that`s already waterlogged from monsoon flooding.
Vietnam`s national weather forecasting centre says Nesat has been downgraded to a tropical storm. It is now packing sustained winds of up to 73 mph (117 kph) and is expected to make landfall on Friday afternoon.
Heavy rains are being reported in northern and central areas, and warnings have been issued for flash floods in low-lying areas and for landslides in mountainous regions.
High winds are whipping through the capital of Hanoi as the powerful storm churns off the northern coast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS