Typhoon weakens to tropical storm in Vietnam
Hanoi: Vietnam is hunkering down in preparation for a weakened Typhoon Nesat, evacuating nearly 20,000 people from coastal areas. The hard-hit Philippines is bracing for yet another monster storm building off its coast in a region that`s already waterlogged from monsoon flooding.
Vietnam`s national weather forecasting centre says Nesat has been downgraded to a tropical storm. It is now packing sustained winds of up to 73 mph (117 kph) and is expected to make landfall on Friday afternoon.
Heavy rains are being reported in northern and central areas, and warnings have been issued for flash floods in low-lying areas and for landslides in mountainous regions.
High winds are whipping through the capital of Hanoi as the powerful storm churns off the northern coast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured