UAE arrests militants; busts terror plotting cells
Dubai: The UAE has arrested members of a terrorist cell made up of Emirati and Saudi militants who were plotting to carry out attacks in the two Gulf countries and their allies.
The terrorist cell was dismantled in an action taken in conjunction with Saudi Arabia, an official statement carried by the UAE`s state-run WAM news agency said last night.
The terror cell, it said, had obtained "materials and equipment with the aim of executing terrorist operations" in UAE and Saudi Arabia and other allies.
It said those arrested were UAE and Saudi nationals and members of a "deviant group" -- a term usually used to denote al-Qaeda.
"Security authorities acted after confirming that those elements were plotting to jeopardise security" in the UAE, Saudi Arabia and "other brother countries," the statement said, adding that they would be put on trial.
Both the UAE and Saudi Arabia are major allies of the US in the region.
Earlier in September, more than 60 people were detained in UAE for allegedly trying to overthrow the authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt