UAE arrests terror operatives; busts cell plotting attacks
Dubai: The UAE Wednesday claimed to have neutralised a cell of alleged Emirati and Saudi terror operatives plotting to carry out attacks in both countries and other states, with the arrest of members of a "deviant group".
An official statement carried by state-run WAM news agency said the action was taken in conjunction with Saudi Arabia.
The terror cell, it said, had obtained "materials and equipments with the aim of executing terrorist operations" in UAE and Saudi Arabia and other allies.
It said those arrested were UAE and Saudi nationals and were members of a "deviant group" -- a term usually used to denote al Qaeda.
"Security authorities acted after confirming that those elements were plotting to jeopardise security" in the UAE, Saudi Arabia and "other brother countries," the statement said adding that they would be put on trial.
Both UAE and Saudi Arabia are major allies of the US in the region.
Earlier in September, more than 60 people were detained in UAE for allegedly trying to overthrow the authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves