UAE arrests terror operatives; busts cell plotting attacks
Dubai: The UAE Wednesday claimed to have neutralised a cell of alleged Emirati and Saudi terror operatives plotting to carry out attacks in both countries and other states, with the arrest of members of a "deviant group".
An official statement carried by state-run WAM news agency said the action was taken in conjunction with Saudi Arabia.
The terror cell, it said, had obtained "materials and equipments with the aim of executing terrorist operations" in UAE and Saudi Arabia and other allies.
It said those arrested were UAE and Saudi nationals and were members of a "deviant group" -- a term usually used to denote al Qaeda.
"Security authorities acted after confirming that those elements were plotting to jeopardise security" in the UAE, Saudi Arabia and "other brother countries," the statement said adding that they would be put on trial.
Both UAE and Saudi Arabia are major allies of the US in the region.
Earlier in September, more than 60 people were detained in UAE for allegedly trying to overthrow the authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'