UAE calls for nuclear disarmament
New York: The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has called for nuclear disarmament and welcomed the UN Security Council resolution 1887 in this regard.
Addressing the UN First Committee on ‘Disarmament and International Security’, Ali Ahmed Al-Shehhi, a member of the UAE delegation to the UN, confirmed UAE`s renouncement of possession of nuclear arsenals which constitute a threat to international security and stability, WAM news agency reported on Thursday.
Al-Shehhi stated that the UAE, which joined the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in 1995, adopts a firm position in this respect with renewed calls for the international community to strengthen its efforts to phase out nuclear weapons.
Al-Shehhi also stressed the importance of reaffirming the comprehensiveness of the NPT and its support to the "Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty" (CTBT).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step