UAE President`s brother laid to rest, as country mourns
Abu Dhabi: Sheikh Ahmed, the billionaire
young brother of UAE`s President was on Wednesday laid to rest here
amid a nationwide mourning, days after he was killed in a
tragic plane crash in Morocco.
The 41-year-old managing director of a sovereign wealth
fund worth hundreds of billions of dollars had died when the
glider carrying him crashed into a lake near a dam in Morocco
A number of ministers, high ranking officials, and
foreign ambassadors, along with citizens joined President
Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan for the funeral prayers of
Sheikh Ahmad bin Zayed Al Nahyan at the Sheikh Zayed Grand
Mosque this afternoon.
His father Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahayan, the
founder of UAE, is buried at the mosque.
Sheikh Ahmad`s flag-draped body was then taken to a
nearby cemetery, where he was laid to rest, the Emirati WAM
news agency reported.
The aircraft of Sheikh Ahmed had crashed into a
reservoir, 10 km south of the Moroccan capital Rabat but his
body was recovered only yesterday after massive search
The pilot of the glider, a Spaniard had however escaped
A three-day national mourning was announced in the
country and the flags are to fly at half mast.
Born in 1968, Sheikh Ahmed was ranked No 27 on Forbes
list of the world`s most powerful people last year.
His sovereign wealth fund is believed to have assets of
around USD 500-700 billion, ranging from Citigroup bonds to a
stake in Britain`s Gatwick airport to residential property in
Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA), of which Sheikh
Ahmad was the managing director, is one of the world`s largest
The son of UAE`s founder president Sheikh Zayed, Ahmad
was also the chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Zayed
Foundation for Charity and Humanitarian Works.
In 2008, his elder brother, Sheikh Nasser bin Zayed
Al-Nayahan had died in a similar accident when his helicopter
crashed into the Gulf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest