UAE President`s brother laid to rest, as country mourns
Abu Dhabi: Sheikh Ahmed, the billionaire
young brother of UAE`s President was on Wednesday laid to rest here
amid a nationwide mourning, days after he was killed in a
tragic plane crash in Morocco.
The 41-year-old managing director of a sovereign wealth
fund worth hundreds of billions of dollars had died when the
glider carrying him crashed into a lake near a dam in Morocco
A number of ministers, high ranking officials, and
foreign ambassadors, along with citizens joined President
Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan for the funeral prayers of
Sheikh Ahmad bin Zayed Al Nahyan at the Sheikh Zayed Grand
Mosque this afternoon.
His father Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahayan, the
founder of UAE, is buried at the mosque.
Sheikh Ahmad`s flag-draped body was then taken to a
nearby cemetery, where he was laid to rest, the Emirati WAM
news agency reported.
The aircraft of Sheikh Ahmed had crashed into a
reservoir, 10 km south of the Moroccan capital Rabat but his
body was recovered only yesterday after massive search
The pilot of the glider, a Spaniard had however escaped
A three-day national mourning was announced in the
country and the flags are to fly at half mast.
Born in 1968, Sheikh Ahmed was ranked No 27 on Forbes
list of the world`s most powerful people last year.
His sovereign wealth fund is believed to have assets of
around USD 500-700 billion, ranging from Citigroup bonds to a
stake in Britain`s Gatwick airport to residential property in
Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA), of which Sheikh
Ahmad was the managing director, is one of the world`s largest
The son of UAE`s founder president Sheikh Zayed, Ahmad
was also the chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Zayed
Foundation for Charity and Humanitarian Works.
In 2008, his elder brother, Sheikh Nasser bin Zayed
Al-Nayahan had died in a similar accident when his helicopter
crashed into the Gulf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened