UAE prisoners awarded for memorising Quran
Dubai: A number of prisoners in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) who memorised the Quran while spending time behind bars have been awarded by the government.
The Dubai International Holy Quran Award was presented at a special ceremony held at the General Directorate of Reformative and Punitive Institutions in Dubai. Another section of inmates scripted, enacted and directed a documentary film based on the Quran.
The short film tells the story of a man who, in a moment of weakness, slips and falls into the abyss of crime and finds himself being thrown behind bars. The man repents and spends his time in prayers and reading of the Quran. Eventually, he memorises several chapters of the holy book and then begins a life of piety and virtue.
Ibrahim Bu Melha, an adviser to the government on cultural and humanitarian services, hailed the efforts of the reformative institutions in Dubai and lauded the Quran memorising programme for prisoners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!