UAE prisoners awarded for memorising Quran
Dubai: A number of prisoners in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) who memorised the Quran while spending time behind bars have been awarded by the government.
The Dubai International Holy Quran Award was presented at a special ceremony held at the General Directorate of Reformative and Punitive Institutions in Dubai. Another section of inmates scripted, enacted and directed a documentary film based on the Quran.
The short film tells the story of a man who, in a moment of weakness, slips and falls into the abyss of crime and finds himself being thrown behind bars. The man repents and spends his time in prayers and reading of the Quran. Eventually, he memorises several chapters of the holy book and then begins a life of piety and virtue.
Ibrahim Bu Melha, an adviser to the government on cultural and humanitarian services, hailed the efforts of the reformative institutions in Dubai and lauded the Quran memorising programme for prisoners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Huge blow for Arvind Kejriwal ahead of MCD elections, AAP MLA Ved Prakash joins BJP