UAE prisoners awarded for memorising Quran
Dubai: A number of prisoners in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) who memorised the Quran while spending time behind bars have been awarded by the government.
The Dubai International Holy Quran Award was presented at a special ceremony held at the General Directorate of Reformative and Punitive Institutions in Dubai. Another section of inmates scripted, enacted and directed a documentary film based on the Quran.
The short film tells the story of a man who, in a moment of weakness, slips and falls into the abyss of crime and finds himself being thrown behind bars. The man repents and spends his time in prayers and reading of the Quran. Eventually, he memorises several chapters of the holy book and then begins a life of piety and virtue.
Ibrahim Bu Melha, an adviser to the government on cultural and humanitarian services, hailed the efforts of the reformative institutions in Dubai and lauded the Quran memorising programme for prisoners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'