UAE prisoners awarded for memorising Quran
Dubai: A number of prisoners in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) who memorised the Quran while spending time behind bars have been awarded by the government.
The Dubai International Holy Quran Award was presented at a special ceremony held at the General Directorate of Reformative and Punitive Institutions in Dubai. Another section of inmates scripted, enacted and directed a documentary film based on the Quran.
The short film tells the story of a man who, in a moment of weakness, slips and falls into the abyss of crime and finds himself being thrown behind bars. The man repents and spends his time in prayers and reading of the Quran. Eventually, he memorises several chapters of the holy book and then begins a life of piety and virtue.
Ibrahim Bu Melha, an adviser to the government on cultural and humanitarian services, hailed the efforts of the reformative institutions in Dubai and lauded the Quran memorising programme for prisoners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown