UAE strips 6 of citizenship over security concerns
Dubai: The United Arab Emirates said on Thursday it
is revoking the citizenship of six naturalised citizens
because the government says they pose a threat to national
The unexpected order was issued by President Sheik
Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan earlier this month, according to
the announcement by state news agency WAM.
The men were granted Emirati citizenship between 1976 and
1986. The news agency quoted an unnamed source at the General
Administration for Naturalization, Residency and Ports Affairs
who said the six had acted to threaten "the national security
of the UAE through their connection with suspicious regional
and international organisations and personalities."
Some of the men were associated with groups that have
been linked with terrorist financing, the state news agency
quoted the official as saying.
It didn`t provide details or say where the men originally
A person familiar with the case told agency that four of the men were of Iranian origin and two came from
Yemen. He said the men`s Emirati citizenship status was
revoked "once it became clear that the rules under which they
were granted (citizenship) were being violated."
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because he was
not authorised to discuss the matter publicly. Officials at
the naturalisation and residency office couldn`t immediately
be reached for comment.
The seven-state UAE federation is a close ally of the
United States. It has not seen the widespread anti-government
protests that have rocked much of the Arab world this year,
though officials have taken steps to tamp down indications of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'