Uganda judge sentences 2 over World Cup bombings
Kampala: A Ugandan judge on Friday sentenced two men to prison after they pleaded guilty to being involved in twin suicide bombings that killed 76 people in the East African nation last year.
The men now will serve as witnesses against 12 other suspects going on trial in connection with the bombings, which targeted people watching the World Cup final on television in Uganda`s capital.
Ugandan citizen Edris Nsubuga, who faced a possible death penalty after he said he detonated one of the bombs with his mobile phone, was sentenced to 25 years in jail on terrorism charges. Nsubuga`s aunt was among those who died in the bombings.
"He confessed that he was manipulated. But he was mindless that victims could have included his relatives," Judge Owiny Dollo said of Nsubuga.
Rwandan citizen Muhamoud Mugisha is to serve five years in prison for conspiracy to commit terrorism. Mugisha said he helped plan the attack with the al-Qaeda-linked Somali militant group that claimed responsibility.
Somali insurgent group al-Shabab said the July 2010 bombings were in retaliation for Uganda`s participation in the African Union`s peacekeeping mission in Somalia.
Henry Sakaki, who lost his brother in the attacks, said he was glad to hear the sentences.
"I am happy that the culprits are being punished," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez