UK: ‘£10 mn bounty for Obama, Bush capture`
London: A Pakistani-origin British Labour peer has been suspended after allegedly claiming that he would put up a GBP 10 million bounty for the capture of US President Barack Obama and his predecessor president George W Bush.
Lord Ahmed, 53, who in 1998 became the first Muslim life peer, reportedly made the comments at a conference in Haripur in Pakistan.
A Labour Party spokesman condemned the remarks, calling then ‘unacceptable’.
According to a report in The Express Tribune, Lord Ahmed offered the bounty in response to a US announcement of a USD 10 million reward for the capture of Pakistani militant leader Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, who it suspects of orchestrating the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
“If the US can announce a reward of USD 10 million for the (capture) of Hafiz Saeed, I can announce a bounty of GBP 10 million (for the capture of) President Obama and his predecessor, George Bush,” Lord Ahmed reportedly said.
According to The Telegraph, Lord Ahmed reportedly said he would arrange the bounty at any cost, even if he had to sell his own personal assets including his house.
Lord Ahmed, who was born in Pakistan, became Baron Ahmed of Rotherham at the age of 40.
According to the paper, in 2007 he was highly critical of the awarding of a knighthood to Salman Rushdie, claiming the author had ‘blood on his hands.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Rafael Nadal crushes Sam Groth to make French Open second round
- Finishing PhD now a political responsibility for me: JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar Board Intermediate Class 12 XII Arts / Vocational Results 2016 to be announced on May 25
- British mother jailed for planning to take her three children to ISIS
- (manresult.nic.in) Manipur HSLC Results 2016 declared; Manipur HSLC exam result 2016, Manipur Board Class 10 result