UK: ‘£10 mn bounty for Obama, Bush capture`
London: A Pakistani-origin British Labour peer has been suspended after allegedly claiming that he would put up a GBP 10 million bounty for the capture of US President Barack Obama and his predecessor president George W Bush.
Lord Ahmed, 53, who in 1998 became the first Muslim life peer, reportedly made the comments at a conference in Haripur in Pakistan.
A Labour Party spokesman condemned the remarks, calling then ‘unacceptable’.
According to a report in The Express Tribune, Lord Ahmed offered the bounty in response to a US announcement of a USD 10 million reward for the capture of Pakistani militant leader Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, who it suspects of orchestrating the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
“If the US can announce a reward of USD 10 million for the (capture) of Hafiz Saeed, I can announce a bounty of GBP 10 million (for the capture of) President Obama and his predecessor, George Bush,” Lord Ahmed reportedly said.
According to The Telegraph, Lord Ahmed reportedly said he would arrange the bounty at any cost, even if he had to sell his own personal assets including his house.
Lord Ahmed, who was born in Pakistan, became Baron Ahmed of Rotherham at the age of 40.
According to the paper, in 2007 he was highly critical of the awarding of a knighthood to Salman Rushdie, claiming the author had ‘blood on his hands.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside