UK: 1,300 immigrants poured per day last year
London: Almost half a million immigrants came to the UK last year at a rate of more than 1,300 a day, shocking figures have revealed.
The astonishing figures from the Office for National Statistics prompted fears that the country has failed to control the number of immigrants coming to the UK.
According to express.co.uk, campaigners warned the government that it was on the course to miss its target of slashing net immigration to ‘tens of thousands’ by 2015.
“These figures show how the simple character of the country is being changed beyond recognition. The Government must become more serious about controlling immigration because these changes are happening without the say so of the people”, Paul Nuttall, the United Kingdom Independence Party deputy leader, said.
“Our public services, schools, hospitals and housing cannot support this kind of growth. It is the weakness and ignorance of successive Governments that have let it happen.”
The figures show that 487,000 of the 566,00 long-term immigrants entering Britain last year did not hold UK passports, the report said.
Sir Andrew Green, of campaign group MigrationWatch, said the figures were disappointing and underlined “the huge difficulty of getting immigration back under control after 13 years of chaos”.
According to the report, the most common reason given to come to Britain was study, with 232,000 students arriving in the country last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!