UK: 1,300 immigrants poured per day last year
London: Almost half a million immigrants came to the UK last year at a rate of more than 1,300 a day, shocking figures have revealed.
The astonishing figures from the Office for National Statistics prompted fears that the country has failed to control the number of immigrants coming to the UK.
According to express.co.uk, campaigners warned the government that it was on the course to miss its target of slashing net immigration to ‘tens of thousands’ by 2015.
“These figures show how the simple character of the country is being changed beyond recognition. The Government must become more serious about controlling immigration because these changes are happening without the say so of the people”, Paul Nuttall, the United Kingdom Independence Party deputy leader, said.
“Our public services, schools, hospitals and housing cannot support this kind of growth. It is the weakness and ignorance of successive Governments that have let it happen.”
The figures show that 487,000 of the 566,00 long-term immigrants entering Britain last year did not hold UK passports, the report said.
Sir Andrew Green, of campaign group MigrationWatch, said the figures were disappointing and underlined “the huge difficulty of getting immigration back under control after 13 years of chaos”.
According to the report, the most common reason given to come to Britain was study, with 232,000 students arriving in the country last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!