UK airport delays blamed on wind, short staffing
London: Long waits at British airport immigration desks have been blamed on staff cuts, airline schedules, security policies and even the wind.
Lawmakers on Britain`s Home Affairs committee today heard conflicting views from officials at airlines, airports, unions and the government.
Recent reports of passengers standing in line for two hours or more at London`s Heathrow Airport have raised concerns not only about management but about the country`s image.
British immigration minister Damian Green said border agents are sometimes overwhelmed when planes arrive with more passengers than expected. He also said arriving passengers can be victims of unpredictable factors including tailwinds and headwinds that can affect the order in which planes arrive.
Unions representing border agents blamed staffing cuts due to the government`s austerity measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'