UK anti-terror cameras to be hooded after outcry
London: More than 100 counter-terrorism cameras installed in heavily Muslim areas of Birmingham will be temporarily obscured with bags after local residents expressed outrage over the surveillance, the local safety board said.
The Safer Birmingham Partnership said that some 150 cameras had been installed in neighbourhoods such as Washwood Heath, where more than half the population is of Pakistani origin. The cameras were set up surreptitiously using money drawn from the government`s counter-terrorism program – and when residents found there was a huge outcry.
The Safer Birmingham Partnership`s spokeswoman, who spoke anonymously in line with official policy, said yesterday it was law enforcement`s prerogative to place the cameras there.
"That`s not something we`d normally consult with the public about," she said.
She insisted that the cameras were aimed at more than just picking out potential terrorists -- pointing out that they could also be used to fight burglaries. But she acknowledged that many locals weren`t buying the argument and that many believed that the cameras were only targeting Muslims.
"There`s been a real high intensity of concern," she acknowledged.
As a result, the camera network would be temporarily suspended, and, for good measure, they would be covered in plastic sheaths.
"If we say that they`re not in use, we aren`t sure that people will believe us," she said.
Local authorities will now spend several weeks consulting with locals before attempting to reactivate the network.
Civil libertarians aren`t satisfied.
Corinna Ferguson, a legal officer at human rights group Liberty, said installing counter-terrorism cameras in a Muslim neighbourhood was discriminatory.
"Putting bags over cameras will not conceal the project`s true agenda," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani